Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cycleland 2011

Cycleland 2011! Last year, as I was laying in the sand exhausted and pinned underneath my bike, I thought to myself: I'm so glad this race is only once a year and I don't have to do it again for an entire season. Well, guess which race was scheduled first when the new series was announced! For my first race in my new class, and my first attempt to complete the long course at an enduro, we were heading to Cycleland in Nacogdoches.
The banquet was the night before, and what a blast! BYOB and a buffet with my VB racing crew... perfect. Knocked back a few cold beers, ate way too much, and hollered as loud as we could as Woody got his promotion to the AA Pro class. Managed to win a sweet ass Ogio backpack in the raffle, and talked Jeremy into sneaking a third dessert for me. Was great as always to get to spend some time razzing Wes McKnight and always a pleasure to have Papa Pierce in the pits for us! Overall, banquet was a huge success and everyone had a blast!
Didn't sleep very well the night before the race despite drinking a few more than we should have (strangely happens every race). I credit jitters and unsure expectations for my first bout with the new class. Woke up that morning full of strange energy, chowed down, and got geared up as it started to rain again. And it kept raining all day. Anywhere else, this creates a burden- but not at Cycleland! That place is usually covered with a baby powder consistency sand, but this weekend was tacky and perfect, even for the later rows! I knew it was going to be a good day after the first transfer section. Bike and body felt great (all credit to finally hitting the gym and riding my mtb), and I knew I was going to ride well. Got the pleasure of having an entire row to ourselves (Myself, Kiwi, Jeremy, and Bloody), which is always a good time. Sadly, Bloody's bike siezed up and sent him back to the pits. Then Kiwi took a header into a tree, sending him back to the pits with a broken bike, helmet, and headache. Jeremy and I forged onward and regrouped at a few checks, then at the beginning of the final section for the long course. He was worn, but holding strong- what a great showing for his first enduro! I got the joy of looking down at my bike in time to see the rear sprocket dangling and the last bolts stripped/ bent. Tightened up the three I had left, tried to ignore the completely deflated front tire, and hit the final section with intent of doing well. Took a few spills, traded places with a few riders throughout the section, and finally managed to limp the bike into the finish after 17 more miles. Wasn't even a hundred yards later before the hub broke and the sprocket was completely dismounted! Got it to wobble all the way through the pits, loaded up, and went down to check the scores. No clue what to expect, just curious to see how it stacked up. Walked up just in time to collect my medal and mug for 2nd in Open B! WAY PUMPED! I now take back at least one or two of the nasty things I used to say about Cycleland! Now on to fix everything I tore up so I can do it again!

Hammer checking out the new trailer graphics:

Bloody, Jeremy, Myself, Kiwi, and Papa Pierce checking everything over before the start...

No comments:

Post a Comment