Monday, April 8, 2013

Mighty San Gabriel Adventure Race Recap

So. Much. Fun.

     I've felt a draw towards adventure racing for a while, but never has the time been better than now! Coming off of my injury and trying to steer clear of motorized recreation, it seemed like a great sport to dive into. I like kayaking, hiking, and LOVE to ride my bike, so it made sense to me to give it a shot. I've also been looking for good promotion outlets for Vita Brevis Clothing and a scene where not only I can get involved, but I can introduce my people to something fun as well. This past weekend we jumped right in to one of Too Cool Racing's events and gave it a go...
     Adventure Racing is a sport where you combine some endurance based activities (trekking, kayaking, biking, etc) along with some navigation/ orienteering, and make a day of it. Events can be set up as 3-4 hour sprints, 12 hour adventures, or longer endurance expeditions. They usually combine some unknown activities like rope skills, puzzles, climbing, or who knows what throughout the course as well. Teams of 2,3, or solo participants take off and endure the fun!
     This particular event, the Mighty San Gabriel AR took place in Georgetown, TX the weekend of April 6, 2013. We chose to do the sprint course, which was approximately 1-3 miles paddling, 3-5 miles on foot, and 8-10 miles on the bikes with some special tests thrown in to keep it interesting. I suckered my buddy Brantley into signing up as a solo act after I had entered the race and he saw how excited I was.


     Loaded and ready to go, with no clue what to expect from the race, we made the drive to Georgetown Friday afternoon. We made it to the campsite early and set up camp before we ventured into Round Rock for check in and dinner. 



      With dinner in hand, we headed for camp with the intention of emptying a few good beers in the woods. We were hoping to return to a full campsite with racers from all over hanging out with the same intentions, but instead it was a quiet calm evening with a little wheelie practice and early bed time. Most of the other campers arrived between 9:30 and 10 after we'd lost our steam and decided it was best to get some rest.



     Race morning came to life early as everyone began prepping and others arrived. Per usual, there were some last minute tweaks to be made before the racer's meeting.



      With minimal information and still not quite sure exactly what to expect, we thought it best to snap a before picture.


      Within a few minutes, the race was under way, and I found myself on the most dreaded leg first- the run. Strangely enough, the adrenaline put us much further towards the front than expected as we made our way to the 6 checkpoints laid out for us on foot. I held up better than expected, but was steadily giving ground as I was reminded of all the awful things my leg has been through. A good dose of road running, trail, and good old fashioned bushwhacking got us to all 6 checks, and I got to watch Brantley test his luck as he bounded blindly down a ravine that claimed a nearby competitor's ankle. We spotted a shortcut to the transition area and came in surprisingly well for what I figured would be the worst segment of the race for myself.
     After completing a puzzle, and with a fresh map in hand, it was time to ride! I knew this would be my strong point, so I was excited and cranking. As we dropped into the trail, it grew technical with a nice downward slope and some mean rocks. Having already paid my dues and leaving my flesh on rocks of the same nature in my previous racing career, I made several passes and had a blast pinning it through the terrain. Soon after, the rocks were gone and it was time to spin some miles on the shore to the next two checks. A wrong turn led me two miles off path before recovering, and my curses broke the morning silence for anyone in earshot. With frustration level high and cramping becoming an issue, I struggled to find the checkpoints on what was supposed to be my strongest suit. Chalk it up to rookie mistakes and that stubborn enduro mindset. I soon found myself too ignorant to find a smoother way and mashed my way UP the very same rocks I'd bombed down before. A pedal strike, misstep, and missed tree in a slow corner sent me rolling into a creek bed. I soon recovered, fought through another set of cramps, and mashed my way back to the transition area. Brantley had some issues involving a flat tire, the same missed turn, and a faceplant. None of which won me "friend of the year award" since I had a pump and he'd already spent his CO2 cartridges chasing me.
     Upon arrival, there was another special test involving a seesaw, balloon between my knees, and some car tires. It was a fun change of pace from my frustrated spinning after wasting so much time with stupid mistakes. Next on the list were two paddle checkpoints, just in time for the windiest conditions of the day. Whitecaps abounded, even with all the trees in the water to break them. The wind pushed in our faces the entire time, and the going was snail paced. It was rough enough that I saw a couple flipped canoes, and waves were coming over the front of my kayak and filling it up. At this point, it was all adventure, without much race to be seen. I was struggling to not go backwards. After finding my way to the second check at the end of a wind-pushed cove, I realized the struggle I would face trying to paddle out. Opting to kill my legs and save my arms for the big water row across the bay, I drained my boat and threw it over my shoulder for a hike to the furthest possible point. With the end in sight, I paddled through white caps and trees to the opposite shore and repeated my drain/ over the shoulder routine for the steep uphill climb to the finish. With legs protesting, I made it to the top and found my way to the middle of a supportive crowd. Race is over, where's the beer?
     Brantley struggled with cramping legs and the mental beat down a good endurance event can dish out, but managed to tote his kayak to the top shortly after and find the finish line. It felt great to sit back with that in our past. Recovery drinks would flow and stories swapped as we met several fellow racers from all over Texas. This is our kind of scene, and will most definitely not be our last time at an adventure race. As I wrap up this entry, I can't help but wonder- if we crammed that much into a sprint, how much more could we experience in a 12 hour? Give it a few days for him to forgive me, and present the idea after a few beers when the girls are around. Nobody backs down in that situation.





No comments:

Post a Comment