Thursday, May 12, 2011

4 Months Out...

Only 4 months until the Tejas Xtreme 24 Hour Race! To catch you up, It's an off-road motorcycle event that will consist of a 24 mile race loop we will race from 10 a.m. Saturday to 10 a.m. Sunday. And I signed up for Ironman.

It's really starting to feel real now, and I'm seeing the impending beat down just around the corner. This event is going to physically and mentally slaughter me until I'm talking mush and feeling like a bowl of pudding. Strangely excited! I've been documenting my preparation both for those of you that give a crap, as well as for me to go back and evaluate progress. Hopefully you guys enjoy this stuff! I covered my first lights session a few entries back, but there will be an entire entry regarding bike prep as I get closer to the race. For now, it's all about mental and physical prep for yours truly!

Physical:


CARDIO!!! As much as possible! Easy to say, brutal to do. I've been on the spin bike so much, I actually got a new seat and pedals for it. I even set up a stereo and screen so I can try to lose myself in a movie or some tunes to keep me pushing longer. But, I absolutely loathe that wretched machine of torture, I find myself dodging the back room where it sits, and trying not to even look at it when I walk through. I tried a trick Brantley uses, and started hitting the treadmill on the steepest grade it offers. I vary it between a fast walk and jogging pace, and also do some side stepping and walk backwards to keep all those auxiliary muscles working. Thankfully though, the sun has graced us a few times and I've found myself cruising through the woods on my Transition mountain bike. I LOVE the singlespeed setup, and it's a much more fun way to flex the heart than anything stationary.

But that was then, and this is now...

Crossfit is badass. Absolutely badass. If you don't know anything about Crossfit yet, open another window and hit their website and Youtube for a quick intro. Whatever strength you thought you had, it's nothing. This program will get results that your basic gym routine will never touch. It's all about flexibility, mobility, range of motion, endurance, core strength, mental focus, and pure kick-assery. Candice and I signed up at the local Crossfit gym, and we're hooked. Dustin and Kaylee Suitors out there will run you through the ringer and have you doing things you didn't even know you could do. It's high energy, competitive, scalable to any level, and will push you. I've seen more results in the last three weeks with Crossfit than I saw with 6 months at the regular gym. Team up this workout routine with the Paleo diet, and you'll see some change. I've dropped 6 pounds already and my pants are falling off my waist. I was flexible before, but it's getting way better. And the gnarly part- it's completely changing my riding! I feel stronger on the bike and can stay in attack position much longer now. And the leg and back cramps haven't happened since I started Crossfit.

I can preach this stuff all day, but check it out for yourself! Crossfit Solus is our local gym - www.crossfitsolus.com


Mental Prep:

Some cheesy movie I watched said "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity". Or something like that. Anyone, I'll never rely on luck and I believe we make our own opportunities in most cases, but there's absolutely no substitute for preparation. You wouldn't show up to a gunfight with a knife with high hopes. In my case, I'd prefer to show up a day early with a well armed mob and set up an ambush. I like to think through every scenario I can, and figure out the best way to prepare for each. The enduro races are great for this, as are the 2 day cross country events. But a 24 hour is a whole different ballgame. It's a mental and physical street brawl.

My Dad asked me a while back what my goals were for this race. My response was clear and simple. First thing, I want to win. Any racer that doesn't is in a foreign land on the starting line. Second thing, I want to either finish strong or find my personal breaking point. Of course I'd rather finish strong and feel great about my ride, but there's something oddly intriguing about going into something more difficult than anything you've ever done. I just can't help but wonder how it's going to play out.

A few days later, he asked me if I knew when/ how to quit. The answer to this one was quick and very clear. When the bike or I can't go on any longer. I don't think that I can, in good conscience, ride in to the pits and call it a day. If the bike breaks, you'll find me pushing it or wrenching. If it's real bad, I'll take off a wheel and carry it with me until someone official makes me stop. If it's me that bonks, someone will have to pick me up and/or drag me in. I'd rather fall over sideways trying to start my bike than sit next to it.

Questions like this are fun to think through. It's good to know how your mind works and what your own opinion is on things. I'll come back with more on prep as it gets closer. But for now, it's time to ride, continue the Crossfit beat down, and study the real bosses of the Baja Ironman class. Reading those stories has been a great resource.

More to come later!

BRAAAP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment