Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Klim F4 Helmet Review



As cool as everything seemed, I eBayed it.

Here in Texas, we have a little heat to deal with. That said, when it's time to get a new lid, I pay very close attention to venting and weight. I'm a sucker for murdered out black graphics and tough looking helmets, but after having my brain boil in a few, I've come to appreciate the better things in life- like a well vented and light helmet.

Enter Klim's F4. I was a big fan immediately after seeing the slick design and of course the orange. I ride KTM, so it's a well known fact based on solid science that all things orange are in fact faster and perform better than any other color. Add to that the slick vents and nifty graphics, and I was typing in the credit card number pretty quick. The closest shop to me is about an hour away, so I'm all about the shotgun web orders.

The box arrived, got opened, and dumped out all over the place- LOTS of cool stuff. The helmet bag was sweet, and nearly stayed with me. Also included was a spare visor, the nifty cold weather liner, and the breath deflector. Very well packaged and those goodies made it seem like a very adaptable helmet for Texas between our summer racing and winter series.

Problem was in the fit. If you're looking at one of these, go try it on first or make sure you have a backup plan if it doesn't fit well. For me, it sat up way too high on my head and left my jaw exposed. It also meant that those top vents were even higher up, which is no bueno for me. I'm already tall, on an open class bike, and you can see just how many limbs my head comes in contact with by taking a good look at my helmet. I probably would have lost at least that top vent pretty quick. For reference, my Troy Lee and Fly formula helmets fit like a glove.

Other than the fit to my head, it was pretty slick. I'd consider the usual riding you do and whether the vent clearance would be an issue. But as with everything, find somewhere you can go try it on and put your hands on it! There's no substitute for forming your own opinion on things like this. The Internet is full of opinions, junk, and a touch of decent info- but you'll learn more in five minutes of handling this helmet than you can reading for hours. Go check it out and go ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment