Friday, February 15, 2013

CRKT Folts Minimalist Bowie Review



First off, I LOVE knives! Ever since I was a little guy, I've been known to dabble with some nifty blades. One of my favorite birthday presents was a throwing knife given to me by my Dad at age 8 (still have it too). How did I learn not to run with a knife in hand? Busted my ass in the pasture with a garage sale survival knife and ripped my hand open. Lesson learned. That said, I'm a somewhat credible source... somewhat.

Over the last few months, I've been on the lookout for a good fixed blade for everyday carry. As much as I love my quick flip pocket knife, I thought the fixed blade might serve well, and my pockets were getting full. I'm moving into town, and will be rambling around via bicycle a LOT. I've heard the horror stories of people being ambushed, jumped, etc, and wanted a layer of protection in addition to my beard and 190 lbs of manliness. I also know how handy a quick blade can be when a stray shoelace makes its way into the chainwheel and plants you in the middle of the street. But ultimately, I wanted a justifiable way to try out a cool fixed blade, and at $20 I figured this was the ticket!



First off, there are several carry options with this knife. It comes with a secure kydex sheath that locks the knife in place when not in use. I'm sure it will smooth out as it breaks in, but I like that there is no risk of it just falling out. The sheath has several holes for different setups. Many people refer to this class of blade as a "neck knife" made to be hung and worn around the neck via paracord. This way its always right there under the shirt and ready. I don't care much for this, but it may prove useful as the weather gets warm and I start wearing bike shorts without belt loops. Instead, I opted to put together the belt loop option. It comes as a kit with a couple screws and spacers that allow for several angles and mounting options. My favorite thus far is a cross-draw belt mount that is easily accessible, yet remains hidden.



After toting her for a couple weeks now, it's become part of my wardrobe while my folder stays home. Now I keep my real weapon in the right pocket, my trusty Sharpie. I've been moving furniture, boxes, and working on the new house most days, and the Folts design has been magnificent. With one hand I can get it out and do whatever I need. The blade is VERY sharp out of the box, and makes quick work of any cardboard, tape, or zip ties I've encountered. The grooved grip locks in perfectly for two or three fingers, and gives a confident feel without the risk of the blade folding back in during heavy use. Sitting here typing, it doesn't dig in or get uncomfortable. It's always there and ready, never a nuisance  and gives more confidence than a folder if trouble were to arise.

That said, I'm a worst-case scenario type of thinker. What if I get cornered, charged, clotheslined off the bike, etc by some would-be attacker? Having a slight limp and a hot wife, defense is often on my mind. Here's my thoughts on a blade for self-defense: If you're in a situation, draw a gun, and drop the the attacker, your troubles have just begun. Even in Texas, you're in the position now where you have to stand before authorities or possibly even a jury and convince them that it was the only option. As a dude that's 6' tall, bearded, active, and a little rough looking, I'm not leaving my fate to a panel of people that couldn't even get out of jury duty. Take the same scenario: one to several attackers corners me and the lady, or ambushes me. I whip out a 2 inch utility blade from my belt, take a couple hits, and proceed to slice and dice my way out of said situation. A blade this small moves as fast and accurately as your hand. If I can move quick enough to slap the assailant, that's another leak for them. A few slaps and a lot of blood later, most people lose their fight and revert to a childlike state of terror. Then I can stand in front of that same panel with my beautiful wife and a black eye, show them the little knife I bought from the local outdoors store, and damn near be hailed as a hero. Much better in my opinion. I also don't have to worry about "brandishing a weapon" or carrying a weapon into an illegal setting. This is a concealed utility blade that can serve in those worst case moments, not a weapon.

Concluding, I'm very happy with the purchase. Great knife! And now begins the goal I have with all my equipment (and body): use it and abuse it for its entire useful life!

1 comment:

  1. Great article! I was wondering if it is possible to carry the knife in a vertical orientation instead of horizontal? I can't tell if the clip can be attached in this manner.

    ReplyDelete