Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Transition TransAM 26" in all its proper glory...

ONE bike??? I have to narrow it down to ONE FRIGGIN BIKE!!! But how? I ride a lot of different stuff, and it's just a must that I have 17 different bikes in my garage/ house to maintain...

Enter the BAMF of one-bike collections for a wannabe freeriding damaged dirt jumper with a multiple concussion downhill career. Blah Blah Blah, 29er this, full squish that, all mountain vs trail vs XC vs dj. Hold my beer and watch THIS!

so fresh and clean...


I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the mags and Interwebs telling me I needed a different bike for every single ride. I was bouncing back from some ridiculous injuries that had kept me down for far too long, and I just couldn't wait to put rubber to ground. Problem is, what bike do you get for everything from the pump track you built to gravel roads to the trails you'll sneak out to when you get the chance? What gearing and components? What suspension? And what about the fact that all your money has gone to the insurance company, hospital, anesthesia, etc?

From house to beer in 9 minutes


Simple answer: find the most versatile geometry hardtail you can wheelie, and sacrifice the build from the dirt jumper you can't ride worth a crap. You don't look cool in girl jeans, you're almost 200 lbs, and your hair is too short/ receding anyways. Having been a fanboy of Transition since the first trail-or-park pics, you should reach out to them and see about that TransAM. It looks cool and the numbers say it'll feel right. Just so happens the white frame looks GREAT with my red and black build. Gearing you say? Nah, let's singlespeed it for a while.

Since then, I've logged I don't know how many miles on her... and she's lived a very diverse life throughout that time. Road rides, pump track laps, gravel grinders, urban, trail, and even commuter miles have accumulated. And they all lead to one conclusion: I love this bike. She's been geared, singlespeeded, and had every kind of tire you can imagine. She even wore a geeky seatbag and headlight for a while!

Why do I like the Tranny so much?

-Look at her! Ano red, white, black, and good geometry... she looks SOOO good! You know you're gonna have a good ride when you catch yourself smiling before you even take her off the rack. Style, my friend... you gotta look good to feel good.

-Riding is very nice. Such predictable and natural feeling geometry. She's laid back just enough to roll over/ through a lot of stuff that would twist up an XC bike, and she never feels twitchy. You can run the seat high and pedal all day, or drop it low and do all kinds of strange stuff normally reserved for a DJ/ park bike. Add to that option the fact that she'll clear a full on DH tire, and you've got yourself a whole bag of options. And who doesn't like options?

-I like to wheelie. Full on sit back, pedal/ brake white trash wheelies for blocks at a time. So much so that there's significantly more wear on my back tire than front. That said, the TransAM might be the easiest to wheelie bike in EVERY build that I've ever had. I love it. She also jumps well for being a larger frame!

-Efficiency and gram-shaving aren't my thing. I've always used heavier builds, and I've never been in good enough shape for it to matter much. However, I've traveled with this bike and ridden many pedally trails without any fuss. It never feels like a pig, she just does whatever I ask. During her commuter days, a set of hookworms and some higher gearing got me all over town, never hesitating to throw a wheely or bounce up/ off or over anything that needed to be bounced.

pure white trash.


I feel especially confident on board the TransAM, and every time I change the tires or drivetrain, it's just like getting a new bike that I can automatically ride with ease. Luckily, my stable is full at the present moment, and I'm very glad of it. However, I look forward to the occasional hardtail trail ride or urban session. If I'm ever forced down to one bike again (God forbid) I know exactly which one will stay off the chopping block! Best all around ride I've ever had, and she looks good too! Now let's go ride!

Full commuter garb. Looks nerdy until I get RAD on it!


My buddy liked it so much... he got one too!


No comments:

Post a Comment