Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Alpinestars B2 Bionic Knee Brace Review...

I'm usually a nut when it comes to product research. But when it came to this brace, there was no real world review of it yet to ease my mind. I'd seen it at the Parts Unlimited Dealer Expo on Supercross weekend and got curious. The features seemed solid, carbon fiber always trumps reasonable judgment, and my poor EVS web sounds like the tin man when I walk. Blinded by the bling and re-assured by the going price on eBay, I took the plunge and ordered one up. Worst case scenario, I sell it for the same I spent on it and try another brace. Best case scenario: love it, keep it, and try my hardest to wear it out. That said, after 30 minutes with it on and set up I need to say this: sorry eBayers, it's here to stay!

My knee brace back story...


Several years ago, I messed up on a mx track and snapped my Tib/ Fib. Took a full year to repair the bones, then found out that the ACL and MCL were both ripped beyond repair also. Docs opted to graft new bits from my patella tendon, take the rod and screws out of my tibia, and send me on my way for another full year of recovery. I hustled my ass off to heal up, went to physical therapy a LOT, and spent so much time on a spin bike that my blood still boils when I see those demonic machines.

When the time finally came to jump back on the bike, the last thing I wanted was a sequel to that whole leg debacle. It was then that I shopped out some braces, found the EVS Web, and never looked back. I was very pleased with it, but now that there are more braces on the market and the EVS reads like a timeline of destruction from the last five years, it's time to move forward. Enter the B2.


This thing looks great and is LIGHT! The UPS guy even commented on the weight of the box when he delivered it. I ordered the right leg, size large. Astars has a sizing chart on their site that was pretty helpful. For reference, I wear the large in the Web also. Another cool point comes from the included leg sleeve, hyper-extension stops, and the manual. For your basic chunk of armor, this thing is packed with features!


What I absolutely LOVE about the B2 so far...
- Did I mention how light it is?
- The snap system. Just set it up right once with the velcro on the straps, and then use the snap in feature from there on for the same fit every time!
- Flexy bits at the top and bottom lets the brace wrap to your leg and hold
- Hinge width adjustment! Gets that perfect fit at the actual knee joint!
- Skinnier profile, so my boots will fit better and have a better shot at keeping the debris out!
- I can use it off the bike. The patella guard is removable, and this thing is light enough to run, mountain bike, or even work out in.


Conclusion: Badassery and awesomeness can sometimes leave you with injuries you have to protect against. This thing does the job, keeps me confident in my knee, and feels great. Fit and feel is better than any other braces I've used, it's mega-adjustable for different conditions, and the price point is good. I'm absolutely sold and impressed. Get the right size, dial in the fit, and rock'n'roll! I can't wait to ride in it and really see the difference in feel/ weight. It fits snug from top to bottom, doesn't move, and finally lets me feel like my leg isn't about to explode. I'll report back after I'm on the bike and let you know how it holds up in the real test.

2 comments:

  1. hi, thanks for the review. what's the measurement for your knee? here's my problem:

    if i stand up and lock my knees, they measure about 10.4cm. indicating i need size large. but if i bent my knees slightly, they measure about 9.8-10.1cm. indicating i could be a medium.

    so i'm not sure which size to get. perhaps you can help me find the right size. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd recommend going with the medium for you. You should never actually be locked out at the knees, they'll always be bent. I'm in the mid-high end of the large measurements, and I run some of the side knee spacers on mine. That's a really nice feature of these too- you can really dial in the fit. Also, the leg sleeve they give you is awesome, but I've found running some kind of compression pant like under armour really helped to keep anything from bunching up.

    ReplyDelete